This project was submitted by Linda Campbell, a professor of business administration and management at Siena Heights University
Project Overview and Goals
The purpose of using Virtual Stock Exchange is to give you a better understanding of trading strategies and portfolio management. You will also learn a variety of financial instruments and their risks and rewards as they apply to asset management
Parts I and II: Managerial Finance Project– Registration
Registration for How the Market Works is free. Create a login code. Choose a name I can identify as yours – keep a copy of your sign in name and password.
Instructions to register for our classroom contest:
- You are invited to enter the contest, “Managerial Finance”. The Password for this contest is: ___________: Go to the following website: __________________
- My Dashboard – Click on Contests; click on Join; Click on Search (and find our class contest by name: “Managerial Finance” Our Password for the contest is:
- Begin Part I of “Managerial Finance”. Complete all Assignments – take quiz – be sure to follow instructions to get credit
- If Dashboard is not visible, Click on “Choose Assignment” and scroll down to complete additional assignments.
- Portfolio Management Constraints: Cash must not exceed 20% of your portfolio at any time. We want you invested, not sitting on the sidelines.
- This is a six-week assignment with a one-week intermission between Parts I and II.
- Part I is a two-week simulation and is your introduction to HTMW. You will complete all the assignments and required stock trades. At the end of Part I, your portfolio balance will be reset.
- Part II is a four-week simulation. You will use your experience from the Part I to make more knowledgeable investment decisions.
|Managerial Finance – Part I: Two-Week Stock Simulation|
|Week 1 |
|Register and begin assignments – be sure to make at least three stock trades – Due ___________|
|Week 2 |
|Complete assignments and be sure to make at least three stock trades. Due _______________________|
|Week 3||Intermission: |
Finish up and evaluate your trading portfolio. Choose primary stocks you wish to trade during Part II
By Thursday, all balances will be reset and your trading activities from Part I will be erased. You will have a fresh start.
Now you are ready for Part II.
|Part II: Managerial Finance Project – All balances have been reset!|
|Week 4||Begin assignments – Two articles and a minimum of three stock trades – Due __________|
|Week 5 |
|Complete assignments – Two articles and a minimum of three stock trades. Due _________|
|Week 6||Complete assignments – Two articles and a minimum of three stock trades. Due _________ |
|Week 7||Complete assignments- Two articles and a minimum of three stock trades. Due _________ |
Part III – Virtual Stock Exchange Debrief Paper – Due ______________
A 2-3 page, double-spaced paper about your Virtual Stock Exchange experience will be due at the end of the semester. Please address the following:
- What are the key things you learned from your Virtual Stock Exchange experience?
- What companies did you invest in? How did their stock perform?
- Which transactions exceeded your expectations? What conditions caused this?
- Which transactions underperformed for you? What factors created the performance gap?
- How will your Virtual Stock Exchange experience influence your personal investing in the future?
- How did you do in the rankings with your classmates?