Affiliate marketing is a lucrative business model that anyone with a computer and Internet connection can do. While it may appear as an easy way to earn income, you still need to invest time, effort, and money to join this industry. That’s why it’s crucial that you do your research and gather information from online resources like journalreview.org – affiliate training courses, or join training programs to gain the knowledge you need for this venture.
Here are the steps on how to start your own affiliate marketing business:
- Select a Niche
Before you start developing an affiliate website, you must choose an industry. This way, your blog has a general theme that can help you find a specific target audience to focus on. While it is possible to be a jack-of-all-trades, it’s much better for your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy to be tied to one niche.
Some questions you can ask when finding a niche are:
- What are the things I currently enjoy?
If this venture is a side hustle for you, it’ll be much easier to see if you can earn money by producing content and promoting products that you’re passionate about. You’re already putting in time for that particular hobby, so it’s sensible to try and earn money from it at the same time.
- What topics am I knowledgeable in?
Another way for you to ease your way into affiliate marketing is by writing about the things that you already know about. These topics can be your passion, as mentioned above, or knowledge that you’ve acquired through your personal and professional experiences.
- Is the niche over-saturated?
Of course, you’re planning to create an affiliate marketing business because you want to earn money. You still need to assess whether the industry has a lot of products that you can promote and a thriving customer base. If you can’t foresee profits from a particular niche, then it’s better to find another one.
- Create a Blog
You need a platform to promote your affiliate products. While you can just use social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, a blog can add authority to your personal brand. You can establish your credibility by ensuring that the products you advertise provides value to your readers and improves their quality of life.
If you have the budget, try purchasing the products you want to advertise first and test them out for yourself. This way, you’ll have first-hand knowledge about the item’s quality so you can provide your readers with a holistic and objective view of the merchandise, as well as set their expectations.
- Sign Up for Affiliate Programs
There are lots of affiliate programs out there that offer high commissions. Online retailers like Amazon and eBay have well-established programs for people who send sales their way. Another advantage of these digital marketplaces is that they offer an expansive array of products, so you can pick the ones that are relevant to your niche.
These are the top affiliate programs today:
- Amazon Associates – A significant advantage of Amazon is that you can get commissions of as much as 10 percent per sale. Moreover, all purchases from the referral link are credited to your affiliate revenue even if the customers bought a different product. One major disadvantage, though, is that their affiliate cookie only lasts for 24 hours.
- eBay Partners – eBay also offers a diverse marketplace with straightforward affiliate sales processes. The downside with its affiliate program is that you won’t earn a cent if an auction goes past ten days even if you were the one who sent the highest bidder to their website.
- Shopify Affiliates – This e-commerce platform focuses on referrals, and you earn a lot per person who signs up, with nearly 600 USD on standard plans and more for enterprise plans. However, your readers must be involved in online selling for them to be attracted to Shopify, which limits the scope of your audience.
- ClickBank – ClickBank is also an extensive database of merchants. It focuses mainly on digital products such as e-books, software, and membership sites. One primary disadvantage with this channel is that there’s a limit of 150 USD of earnings per referral sale.
Anyone can do affiliate marketing. All you need is a computer, Internet connection, and basic writing skills to be able to promote products that you believe in. It’s crucial to remember that you must establish your credibility first and make your readers trust that you’re not just in it for the sales, but that you genuinely want to help them find solutions to their everyday needs.